Two meetings with local health officials were held; Springfield (February 28th, 2013) and Worcester (March 28th, 2013)。4月调查然后发送到100 public health professionals, yielding 17 responses. RecyclingWorks presented an early draft to the MassDEP Organics Subcommittee meeting held on June 10. In addition, a draft document was shared with representatives of all of the major public health organizations in Massachusetts, who were given a chance to provide comments. This BMP document is based on the results of this process.
Source separation of food scraps starts in kitchens and dish rooms. Recommended back of the house practices are as follows:
- Kitchen food scraps should be collected in dedicated receptacles such as bowls, buckets and barrels in the same area as trash is currently collected.
- Food scraps should be collected and removed from the kitchen/dish room at the same frequency as trash is removed from these areas.
Back of the house practices are dependent on the volume produced. Collection at the same frequency as trash is reasonable for most establishments and seasons; in others, food waste should be collected as often as necessary to keep the area sanitary and to prevent odor, vermin and vector harborage. At a minimum, collection should be every shift. Once collected, food scraps will be brought to a storage area near the trash dumpster/compactor where the hauler will pick up the material.
II. Hauler Collection Frequencies
- 冬天(去年)建议food scraps collected in toters or dumpsters be hauled away for processing once per week.
Compactors: Usually 20 yards or more, compactors are used by large food waste generators that also have the space to site a container of this size at their facility. A self-contained compactor typically has a chute with a door leading from a loading dock or from the inside of a building to feed it and has no area open to the air.
- 冬天(去年)建议food waste collected in compactors be hauled away for processing once per week.
Type and location of containers will vary. There is also considerable variability in local trash area requirements and space availability, especially between dense urban centers and less dense or space constrained areas.
- Storage: Outdoor storage surfaces should be nonabsorbent (concrete or asphalt), smooth, and durable and sloped to drain. Some communities require trash/recycling areas to be fenced in or otherwise out of view. It is best for businesses/institutions to check with the local Health Department to determine if this is required. The storage area must be maintained in good repair, clearly marked with no-parking signs, easily cleanable and if necessary/possible, enclosed by fencing to contain wind-blown litter. No food debris, residue should be outside of the containers, and no unnecessary items should clutter the storage area.
- Container Maintenance：Dumpsters，推车或压实机应是可封闭且可清洁的，无泄漏，水紧，能够被锁定。所有门/舱口/紧身盖子应在不立即使用时关闭或安装在适当的情况下，以防止害虫进入容器。塑料袋和湿强度纸袋可用于排列封闭的外部容器。