Once recyclables reach the MRF, they are sorted using a combination of manual, mechanical, magnetic, and optical methods. Once the materials have been processed, they are baled and sold on national and international markets for the production of new goods.Click hereto view a map and list of MRFs in Massachusetts.
而回收终端市场波动的反应to numerous factors, markets exist for all recyclables collected through single stream and accepted at MRFs. However, it is imperative to maintain the cleanliness of recycled materials. MRFs need to be able to sell commodities to manufacturing outlets to minimize processing, maximize returns, and reduce the amount of residual materials that are sent for disposal. Businesses and institutions can help maintain the value of recycled materials by following single stream guidelines and minimizing contamination in the recycling stream through bin placement, signage, and education.
What Materials Should be Collected for Single Stream Recycling?
单流MRFS旨在仅对某些材料进行排序和处理，而不是显示树脂代码的所有材料（中心中的回收符号）可以放置在单流再循环中。188体育官网1234有关由马萨诸塞州单流MRF可接受和加工材料的188体育官网1234指导，请参阅Recycle Smart MAgraphic below for a typical list of accepted materials.
Items listed in the “No” section of the Recycle Smart MA graphic will prevent the proper processing of recyclable materials. Recycling in plastic bags will typically not be processed and may be disposed of as trash. Tanglers, such as plastic bags, textiles, hoses, wires, and cords will interfere with rotating sorting equipment, requiring maintenance, which increases cost and jeopardizes worker safety. Small items, such as loose bottle caps, plastic utensils, shredded paper, and broken glass, tend to fall through gaps in the equipment at MRFs and wind up as residue that is sent for disposal. Food and liquids contaminate materials, which can ruin their market value. A high percentage of unacceptable materials in a load may result in it being rejected at your business, or the MRF, and possibly redirected to be disposed of as trash.
Some businesses may choose a “modified single stream” program where they collect one material, such as cardboard, separately from the rest of the recyclable materials. Flat cardboard can be collected loose, baled, or compacted, and this separation can result in a higher value and lower processing costs.
单流回收计划notaccept the following materials. Businesses and institutions that generate a large quantity of these materials should consider collecting them separately for recycling:
- Waxed cardboard
马萨诸塞州的Recyclingworks（Recyclingworks）查找-A-Recycler工具allows you to search our database for recycling and composting service providers in your area based on material category, location, or keyword.
Best Practices for Single Stream Programs
- Use the right size and type of equipment for collecting and transporting materials.See the RecyclingWorksEquipment for Collecting Trash, Recycling, and Food Waste网页了解更多关于不同类型的室内和室外设备。
- Provide clear signage that displays a written list or images of common recyclable materials on all collection bins and dumpsters.使用与垃圾中的回收区区别分解的言论，例如“混合回收”或“混合回收”。尽可能将标牌附加到垃圾箱本身，以确保它不会被误解交换。请参阅下文，有关RECYCLINGWORKS单流回收标牌的示例并与我们联系(888) firstname.lastname@example.org your organization needs customized recycling and waste bin signage.
- If lining collection bins, use clear plastic bags instead of black bags.这将有助于防止回收被误认为是垃圾和不正确的处理。除非您的搬运工另有说明，否则在收集之前从单流材料中取出任何塑料袋，然后用其他薄膜塑料回收它们。188体育官网1234
- 确保员工可以轻松访问所有回收和垃圾垃圾箱。Side doors on tall dumpsters help ease access. If locking dumpsters, ensure the appropriate staff have access to dumpster keys.
Examples of Single Stream and Modified Single Stream Recycling Signage
- Keep single stream materials separate from trash.Use a clear or different colored bag for recycling, or transport materials using a divided bin. Ensure that this is emphasized during employee training.
- Always flatten cardboard boxes before placing in a recycling container.回收作品cardboard graphiccan be used as a training tool and visual reminder for your staff.
- 空塑料袋中的空回收材料。188体育官网1234Plastic bags tangle in single stream processing equipment and prevent other materials from being processed properly at the MRF. Therefore, it is important to empty recyclables from plastic bags and either dispose of the bags or recycle them in a separate film plastic waste stream.
- Ensure all materials are dry, empty, and free of residue.容器不需要彻底清洗，但应该是空的，没有残留的食物和液体。纸张保持干燥尤为重要。
- Perform inspections for contamination and recyclable material in trash.When necessary, adjust your equipment or processes and provide ongoing training for your employees.
- Establish frequent and transparent communication with your recycling hauler.Ask your hauler to notify you promptly of contamination in your recycling containers so that you can implement prompt corrective actions.
- 为如何分离和减少材料污染的员工提供教育和外联188体育官网1234. Incorporate single stream collection practices into new hire training, and provide ongoing education sessions as needed. Provide instruction to employees who collect and transport materials on how to keep single stream materials separate from trash
For more information on other commonly recycled materials visit these pages:
- Contact the RecyclingWorks hotline at(888) email@example.com learn more about our免费技术援助.
- Find out how to118金宝搏
- 学习更多关于contracting with haulersto set up your single stream recycling program.
- Learn how to plan for waste reduction, recycling, and food waste diversion at your workplace events in ourTips for Waste Reduction at Workplace Events.
- 咨询MassDEP Recycle Smart MA websitefor more information on materials typically accepted in single stream recycling in Massachusetts.
- Learn about马萨诸塞州浪费禁令。